Sunday, July 18, 2010


It rained heavily at Whale Cove, so the pack up was moist, to say the least. It eased off in time for us to pull away, but I knew we'd catch up with the weather on the road. We drove for a few hours before running out of ambition and getting low on fuel, so we found a campground in a town called Grand Pre. I was leery at first, as the name of the camp was Land of Evangaline Campground, but it was historically named, not religiously, so it was OK. We were assigned a tight spot near the office because the more remote sites were too waterlogged, but it was fine as we only planned to overnight. The rains eventually stopped, and it became a beautiful evening and sunset. The next morning the tide was out...WA-A-A-A-Y out, so we went out onto the seemingly limitless sand/mud flats and walked until it became to squishy and tacky. It was messy, but a lot of fun. The flats must have reached out over a mile before reaching the brine:

Near camp we camp across this eagle perched atop a telephone pole:

A crabby campground host made it easy to leave, however, and we headed once more in the dirction of Cape Breton, but didn't make it on this drive either. We decided to stop in the town of Pictou, on the north shore of Nova Scotia, to break up the drive, and also because it was slim pickin's for campsites on Cape Breton for a Friday arrival. A Sunday arrival generally gives us our choice of the best spots, so we held over in Pictou through the weekend, which worked out well. In complete contrast to our last camp, the host at Harbour Light Campground gave us our friendliest welcome to date, even giving us ice cream to tame the heat as we walked around to choose our site.

Camp was on a tidal river, and a short path took us down to a beautiful sand beach with warm waters, but unfortunately a booming population of stinging jellyfish. The dogs loved wading and swimming, and also running free on the beach when there was no-one else about:

Pictou was a pleasant little town, boasting a replica of the ship that the Scottish immigrants first arrived in:

Nearby was a nice network of mountain biking trails - the best riding I've had since Freeport, Maine. I went there two mornings and really enjoyed the sweet single-track riding I crave:

And, there was a nice little 9 hole golf course on the water, on which Nancy and I took the opportunity to prove to ourselves, once again, how horrible we are at golf! Our scores would be great if we had been bowling! It was very hot, but the strong wind was a blessing in the open of the golf course, and we also saw a mature bald eagle soaring over the water.

So, it was a good experience at Pictou, and we may pass this way again on our way back from Cape Breton, which is where I am now as I write. But, more on that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment