Friday, April 29, 2011

Denver, part 3 (Colorado Springs)

It was with a great deal of reluctance that I left Fruita - so many trails, so little time! In addition, I would be crossing the Rocky Mountains and the Continental Divide for the second time in a week, and knowing that just days later I would drive right back over the same piece of road, over the same high mountain passes. As icing on the cake, shortly after getting on the highway I saw the giant signs warning that trucks were required to use chains in the mountains, so I had snow and ice to look forward to at high elevations! But I pushed on, eager to get back to Denver and pick Nancy up at the airport after over two weeks away.

Thankfully, however, the trip was no problem at all. Yes, there was snow, sand and salt, but by the time I got up high the roads were not slippery, the chain requirements were lifted, and I arrived in Denver having made good time, and with only a filthy truck and trailer to complain about. Against campground rules, I gave the Whale a quick hose-down to restore her to decency.

The next day Toby had a follow up appointment, stitches out and a new bandage, and then we drove down to Colorado Springs to visit friends Lisa, Micheline and Barry:


The home of Micheline and Barry is a gallery of her paintings and his photography, all so very beautiful. Lisa came by and we had a nice visit before she had to go to work, and Micheline and Barry took me out to see some sights.

In the foothills just outside of town is the Garden of the Gods, an amazing occurence of rock spines jutting dramatically out of the otherwise gently rolling terrain:


Forming an impressive backdrop to this otherwordly place is the massive Pike's Peak:


We had a great time wandering on and around the fantastic shapes:


We watched the swallows, pigeons and crows wheeling around and perching in the heights, and contemplated the forces of nature which created such unique and striking phenomenon.


Another fun formation was this huge balanced boulder, which reminded me of the Orc Captain from Peter Jackson's film "Return of the King":



.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Afterwards we toured the charming artists community of Manitou Springs, drove through Old Colorado Springs, stopping to say hello again to Lisa at work, and then they treated me to a great dinner out (Thank you!). Returning back to their home, Micheline and Barry showed me their studios, spacious and well equipped work spaces for printing and framing, for painting and, mostly, jewelry making. Micheline's inventory of beads for her jewelry was staggering - such an amazing diversity of shapes, colors and materials to serve as a pallet for her inventive creations. It was a great visit, one I wish Nancy could have shared with us, and which I hope we will repeat in the future.

Speaking of Nancy, I picked her up the next day - we were all so excited and happy to have her back. Toby was particulary exuberant in his greeting, wiggling and wagging his whole body, and giving lots of wet kisses!

Reunited at last, we can resume our travels together, heading west once more towards Utah, where we look forward to enjoying warmer weather and amazing landscapes (and maybe just a tiny little bit of world-class mountain biking too!).

1 comment:

  1. Dear Matthew,
    I wanted to tell you thank you for a great time here and for all your
    stories and adventures, and for all your intelligent questions about what
    Barry and I do as artist. Most of all I appreciated that you understood so
    quickly what we said. We really enjoyed your spirit.
    We hope you can come again with Nancy this time. I wish you much luck in
    your travels and I know you will enjoy the West as much as we did.
    Thank you again for a most flattering blog about us and for mentioning our
    websites in it.
    A big hug to you both,
    Micheline

    ReplyDelete